Tuesday, August 26, 2008

This is Nick



My first post is about my first real job: teaching music.

I teach a 6th grade band, junior high band, high school band, junior high choir, high school choir, and an elite show choir, with pep band on the side. It's not hard though, some of the kids read music.

I just did a big instrument presentation for the 6th graders considering playing in the band. I just thought back to how Dad did it when I was little. I'm proud to say that I safely performed the trombone "racecar" that Dad was famous for. And because of my horrible performance of saxophone, I won't have a lot of sax players. (But I have a load of trumpet players.)

I've been teaching for about 4 days so far and it has been very enjoyable. Kids have learned my real title of Mr. Germer (instead of Lord Germer like in Ogden). I've been able to lay down the law in my classes as I enforce my rules. The toughest part is trying to find fun music in our school library. We've got loads of music, but about 90% of it is either too boring/hard/easy/stupid/and/or/christmasy.

My first big challenge has been a concert/fundraiser that I've been planning. After sending out letters to parents with the concert date I was notified that it was conflicting with another important school event. So now I have to send out another letter to the parents with a revision.

2 comments:

Jess said...

We're glad things are going well with your job. Hopefully you can find some good music- that could be difficult. I remember my jr. high teacher threatening us with what he called "Mr. Whole Note Goes to Festival"- hopefully yours isn't that bad!

momser said...

Dear Nick and Krys, (& Libby)!!!!!

I just had time to look at your great site. I loved it. Good work on teaching Libby that her bed is a great place to sleep. That must have been something to see, you getting in the crib with her. Ha ha. It would break if I had to do that. Anyway good job being a great mom to her.
Love Momser